Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Playing a mediator.

I never thought that when I accepted my current position a month ago, I'd have to include a babysitter to my job description in addition to my daily responsibilities. Honestly, when I heard everyone on my teams are going to be guys, I was happy since I figured there won't be any drama so typical for girls. Today I found out just how wrong I was. I actually had to play an intermediary for the most part of the day in order to bring two sides of my team to some sort of agreement. The question that bothered me after all the mess was over, was why do guys take things so personally? Do they take any commentary about their professional performance that close to heart? It's not like they are being evaluated on their sexual talent; I could understand why that part can be hurtful. I always wondered why they can't separate professional and personal parts of their life and every little remark is being taken as a brutal attempt to sabotage their reputation or crush their male ego. But seriously, if you can't finish your work on time and accurately, then I will definitely bring it up. Not as a personal attack, but rather as a constructive criticism (don't you just love this word?). Actually let me rephrase myself - not "can't finish", rather "don't bother to finish" in a timely manner. In fact, this scenario is absolutely unacceptable from my standpoint. If you have the means and the capability to complete the work on time, then do so. Don't come up with lame excuses such as, "it's Friday and I have to leave early because I plan to go out later in the night". Grow up, realize that it's your job and not a high-school math project, and finish it up... I don't get it.
Anyhow, I planned to go out tonight, but with all this crap going on at work, I was stuck there until almost 9pm. So I guess I am canceling tonight. Which doesn't mean I won't go tomorrow. I just hope this work drama won't carry over to the next day... I have enough of crap going on in my personal life and I definitely don't need any more of it at work...
Surprisingly, I am no longer fuming, hence stopping here.

No comments: