Monday, January 22, 2007

An interesting side note.

First, let me just say how happy I am it's finally snowing. And, yes, it ruined my plans for yesterday, but no, I don't care about it. I was so excited to look outside my window and see snowflakes falling from the sky, and ground slowly being covered up with white blanket and the sky being this white-blue bright color that it turns only when it is snowing. Do not get it confused with the grayish tones it takes when it's raining, winter sky has this cold bluish palette that even looking at from the warmth of your house makes you shiver. I always get nostalgic with first snow. It's reminiscent of some of the best times when my life was careless and free of drama.
Nevertheless, I was forced to spend an evening at home since the roads weren't cleaned yet which made driving anywhere nearly impossible. Instead, I stayed in bed all night watching TV. Actually, more like flipping channels. Until I came across "Mythbusters" on Discovery Channel. I first became interested in the show about a year ago when they re-enacted a Kennedy assassination in order to prove a "magic bullet" theory. After that I became a convert and watch it every chance I get. Long story short, this time they were testing an old myth that the pirate eye patch that is thought to cover an empty eye socket was in reality a method that allowed them to switch between day and night vision in an instant, which proved helpful during unexpected battles. Basically, here's a story: a human eye contains two types of photoreceptors - rods and cones. Cons are receptors that are sensitive to and allow us see colors. Rods, which are more numerous and highly sensitive, are not sensitive to color. They are also responsible for scotopic vision. However, this dark-adapted vision is only obtained after a considerable period of darkness, because the rod adaptation process is much slower than that of cones. So, apparently the pirates kept eye covered at all times in order to preserve this light sensitivity of rods and make enhance their night vision. That way, whenever they had to switch between a lit room and a dark deck of the ship (for example, during an unexpected attack) they could simply switch the patch to activate their night vision to be able to continue in the dark. The best thing in this entire story though, is that the show was actually able to prove this myth, or to be more exact, found it plausible. I was truly fascinated by the thought that the primitive pirates as we, modern society, often think of them, were able to come up with such an amazing observation and apply it in real life to their full advantage.
Just thought it was an interesting fact I wanted to share...

No comments: