Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Digression.

I recently had a conversation with my now-former-senior about the job market. Since he has been actively searching for a new job recently, he had a lot to bring to the discussion. I had more of a scientific approach to the topic, he had applied his experience from the real life. Despite all the hearsay about current conditions and the rumors of impossibility of finding a decent job for an average college graduate with a Bachelor's degree, I find it not being as tough as the experts try to convince regular people. For example, in a mere two months of him searching for a job, he lined up four interviews and actually had one offer. If it were so hard to find a job, I doubt he would have had so many opportunities in such a short time to try out for various positions... The company I work for is notorious for its high turn-around. It could be explained by a several factors, but the most probable of all is the average age our department being 25 years old. Think about it: if you are 25 chances are, there is nothing tying you down to a specific location, people or a living arrangement. You are free to go and do whatever you please... Awesome time to live your life to the fullest... But back to the point, most people who leave our department do so because they found another job. Therefore, most of what I hear or read about the job market is most likely exaggerated. If one looked, it is possible to find a job suited for their preferences provided they themselves are competent and /or experienced.
Now don't get this confused with another argument that many make and I somewhat agree with. That being that due to a higher demand in the work force and the perks of being young and just out of school, some of the offers may not seem so fitting. By perks I imply a well known fact that young, just-out-of-school professionals can only count on an entry level position. Which will probably mean longer hours, higher work load and lower pay. But this is something anyone has to go through in order to climb a corporate ladder and become somewhat important and valuable. On the side note, if your parents own their own business you are to take over in the future, please disregard this entire rambling. Does not apply to such. However, for the vast majority of us, it is simply a fact of life that we have to deal with. The relief comes from realization that we only have to suffer for a year, two or three before reaching that state where we can actually demand something from the employer. Until then, however, we are not in the situation to bitch and complain. I had this argument with a friend of mine some time ago. He was accusing me of working long hours and therefore not being able to get out. I asked him if he knew of any twenty-something who worked normal hours during their first year on the job. No answer... Point made.
Anyhow, maybe it all is just a pep talk right before my busy season hits, who knows... However, once those long hours pay off in a few years, I would be really appreciative of all the hard work I put in in order to get wherever I might be at that point. Otherwise, why bother, right?

No comments: