Friday, October 06, 2006

A gloomy post...

I have been feeling quite overwhelmed during the past few days. I guess fortune decided that I've had enough good luck already, so things just came crushing down on me yesterday and today.
First, I realized that I have to move out by the end of the month. My current living situation has become simply unbearable. I actually dread coming home from work and look for any excuse to leave my house. As a result, I spend a lot of time watching TV, reading or staying out just so I don't have to talk to anyone. I only use my room for sleep and my bathroom for a shower. And what makes this situation even 'prettier' is the fact that it's incredibly hard to find a decent apartment that does not cost me an entire paycheck. The area where I want to live is awfully expensive with tiny apartments. One may point out that if I chose to live and work in DC, then I should pay for it. And I totally agree with that - I understand the convenience of location and the proximity of... well, everything and I am willing to pay for it. I just don't want to pay this much. So the search goes on. I spent half a day today at work looking through listings and, I have to admit, found a few that I would like to check out. While they are not what I ideally want, they sound good enough and are fairly close to work and play. I talked to my potential roommate and the locations I found seem to suit both of us in terms of closeness to work. Another thing that I have to factor in the price is the cost of furniture. From our conversation I realized that neither of us have any living room furniture, which means we have to buy it very soon after moving in. While the idea of sitting on the blanket in the living room having lunch seems appealing in theory, in reality no one would be able to tolerate such living conditions for long. On the brighter side, we have three laptops and one TV combined. So now we can add movies and turn our living room into some sort of a movie theater with multiple movie selection. Kind of a Comcast On-Demand feature. I told her that if we don't buy at least a couch, we'd be like nomads living in an empty apartment with rugs on the floor sans any furniture. Let me tell you, she wasn't thrilled with this idea. However, the first thing I am buying upon getting my place is a bed. That's right! An exceptionally comfortable king size bed so I can lay down in any direction I want and not be afraid of falling off the bed if fall asleep drunk. Just kidding. But seriously, this will be my first purchase. Which I also have to factor in my budget. Ahh, to many things to keep track of. In any case, if the weather is on my side, tomorrow I shall check some of these places out and see if any of them suit me.
Second, I realized that my manager is a liar. Well, maybe not a liar but rather deceptive human being. But let's start from the beginning. A few months back I was promised that a few of my clients will be transferred to other people in order to alleviate my work load. Not just mine, really, but that of an entire department. In fact, we were all promised that a number of new people are going to be hired and all our clients will be distributed between them, hence leaving us, veterans, with fewer number of things we have to keep track of. Indeed, they hired more people. As a result, three of my clients were transferred to others which obviously meant less work for me, so I was happy with the way things were. What they didn't factor in though (I use this word quite a lot, no?) is that a number of people would leave and our department would likely pick up new clients. Therefore, I found out yesterday that I am getting four (!) new clients. Now, maybe my manager with business education does not know algebra, but X-3+4=X+1 - or one additional client for me. Talk about easing my work load. If you also count the fact that I got bigger and more complex clients to work with, I am looking forward to even longer working hours this season plus some weekends. Seriously, ease my load my ass! The thing that annoys me the most is the management probably knew about new client and people leaving, yet they consciously deceived us into believing that things will improve. In my opinion, this whole deal only made associates disappointed with the way this company is being run and made them lose trust and respect for their managers. If no one sugar-coated the situation saying it would be easier, people would be more prepared for things to come, hence less frustrated, hence more respectful for managers. And then the latter group acts surprised every time people quit. No wonder, I would quit too if I were in their position. Fortunately, I like what I do, so it makes it easier for me to get through the busy season. Plus, I don't want to leave before I am promoted. I don't see any point in leaving the same position I was hired for. That's why I want to wait a year or so to get promoted, and then start looking for a new job. Besides, I want to get my CFA before going somewhere else, and in order for me to study I need to get promoted so my schedule becomes less hectic.
Third, my senior and I totally despise each other. If all other members of our team simply hate him, I disdain him. I have never seen a person more self-absorbent, conceited, petulant, or vain than him. I would be able to understand his ways if he were a millionaire who retired at thirty, but he is in no better position than the rest of us, yet makes it seem like he's on top of the world already. He has a long way there still. I don't even want to mention the way he trashed me in front of my manager, because I finished my work faster than others on most nights, therefore left home early. In his opinion, I was supposed to stay there and wait till everyone leaves so our team has consisted hours. I also don't want to mention the fact that the guy whose example I was given as for the hours he worked, went to gym or dinner every night and spent at least two hours there while I stayed in and worked. That is the reason I was able to finish early and leave early! However, in his eyes it is also a reason I worked ten hours less than him every week. Had my senior been there in the evening, he would know that and he would know better not to bring it up with my manager, but he was out by 7pm most nights, hence had no opportunity to observe the situation. As my friend suggested, from now on I should work painfully slow and take ten cigarette breaks a day. Maybe I should. It came as no surprise for me that today he announced that I'll have to move to accommodate new members of our team. Now, I always knew that either me or my other team member would have to move, but assumed it was going to be him since he expressed the desire to be moved while I absolutely hated the idea. The area where I am going to be sitting is isolated from my team and as a result I won't be able to see or talk to any of them. And the thing that pissed me off the most was the glee in his voice and the glistening of his eyes as he told me that. As in, 'Yeah you are moving there, finally'. Good thing he didn't bring champagne to celebrate. It may seem that I exaggerate things here, but every member of his old team, plus my old senior told me exactly same thing when they found out he was going to be in charge. It seems like there are only a few assholes in our department (three to be exact), and our team got two of them (the second one is the analyst in case you wonder). Call us lucky...
Forth, I just found out that a close relative of my friend is very sick and it's making me very upset.
Fifth, this weather totally blows and it's making me depressed... can't even go anywhere since it's raining so hard here...

No comments: