Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An attack of the bride.

Two brides, really.
It will be one expensive celebration. Actually two. Recently, two of my friends announced they are getting married. As much as I despise marriage, I am wholeheartedly happy for them and wish them the best. Problem is, both of them decided to do the ceremony in some exotic places. One in either Mexico, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands, and another in India. The real issue is, I have to attend both weddings - I am a bridesmaid in the first one and a maid of honor in the second (or an equivalent in this case, since it seems to be a traditional Indian weddings without bridal party). I think they decided to get married to surely and inadvertently break my budget. Technically I wouldn't mind travelling overseas this year, but with my upcoming February trip and a house purchase (keeping my fingers crossed), I don't think it will be at all possible. According to some very modest calculations and my old friend Orbitz, the first trip will run me about $1000, and the second may end up being around $2000. And that does not include presents and such... A bit too steep for a wedding, if you ask me. It's just me, but I do think that if you choose to have a wedding somewhere overseas, you need to consider the means of your guests and how you can assist them with the trip, be it covering a part of it, or finding a bundle deal with some discount travel agent. I do realize that people want this day to be special, but they also have to acknowledge that others, even though happy to share the celebration with them, cannot necessarily afford spending around $3000.
Actually, I take it back. A few minutes ago, I went back to another old friend of mine, Yahoo Answers. True, I usually do when I am bored at work and want to have some fun reading the most ridiculous questions ever. However, sometimes their advice is sound and priceless. So I asked if people think it is reasonable to ask to spend this much on the trip and if it's polite to decline even though you are in the bridal party. It's only been ten minutes or so, but I already got more than a dozen answers, and all of them agreed it would be perfectly fine to decline the invitation. And even though I don't want to decline it, I do think that the way I will be able to go there is if I get some help with expenses.
What a dilemma... and whatever happened to good ol' DC?

No comments: