Thursday, September 06, 2007

Confirmed.

I singed my offer on Tuesday... finally. I was so excited after the meeting that I took the wrong exit to highway and ended up I-don't-know-where. Then it took me more than an hour to get home... And I got a ticket. But after I found out exactly how much I will be making, the ticket doesn't even matter. Although I did not get any points since I convinced the cop that it was the only route I could take and that I was late for a job interview. Which I was... well, not an interview per se, but close enough. At least it's all final now... if I pass my background and drug tests. And as long as alcohol doesn't register on the tox screen, I am good to go.
The funny thing happened a few hours before I left work. I was supposed to submit something to my manager last Friday, but obviously didn't so she sent me a pretty nasty email saying that my dedication and effort level have gone down... Yeah she finally noticed I don't care any longer... But then she turned around and forwarded this email to another manager asking if it was mean... CCing me on it... What an idiot. Obviously after that she had no choice but to talk to me and explain what she did... And by the way, sending this to another manager? Totally unprofessional!
So here's how our conversation went:
Once I walked in, she waived for me to sit down and asked me to talk to her and tell her how I feel. Is she seriously trying to shrink me again? Because that's what she's got degree in so apparently that's the only thing she can do. I didn't say anything, so she went on
M(anager): I've noticed that you are not as concerned with your responsibilities any longer and it frustrates me.
Me: I know.
M.: Don't you want to be promoted?
Me: Quite honestly, I don't think I do at this point.
You should have seen her face at this point.
M.: But don't you want to take on additional responsibilities?
Me: No, because I will be doing the same job as I do now.
M.: But you will be more involved with clients and you will be writing performance evaluations for them.
Me: I am already doing that with my client relationship.
M.: But then you can get promoted to the next position, even to the manager.
Me: But I still will be doing the same job I do now. I don't think there is any reason for me to stay since there are not a lot of opportunities here.
M.: But you can start training people then.
Me: I can train people right now if I join the training team, I just choose not to.
M.: You can be working with clients in the future.
Me: And I still will be doing the same job...
At this point she was sitting across the desk from me, leaning on it as if to get closer to me. Once I said that, she leaned back on her chair, crossed her arms and said,
M.: No, it's not.
Me: (laughing on the inside at her expression) I think it is.

And that was it. I am so happy I was putting in my two weeks the next day. And you should have seen her face the next morning too. She was definitely surprised and taken aback with it. She did not say much, in fact, I don't think she even realized what the letter was about. I gave it to her and she said "Thank You", and so I left and went to my desk. Once I got there though, there was an email from her asking me to swing by to"discuss". That's when I knew it finally hit her I was gone. Moments after I walked out of her office, all managers were in there, apparently discussing me leaving. But you know what? I could care less. I don't feel obligated in any way nor do I feel guilty about leaving in the middle of busy season.

And more great news? Another co-worker of mine is leaving and will be putting in his two weeks shortly. I am so excited for him and cannot wait to see her expression once she finds out he's leaving too.

No comments: