Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just a thought.

A bit of the background: I just resumed my house search and therefore spend a lot of time on various realtor websites doing my research on mortgages, market conditions and properties.
In addition to the houses I can actually afford, I browsed some that are out of my price range, just to see what "could have been" or for what exactly people are willing to pay a certain amount of money. Just now I stumbled upon a house worth $85 million... the damn place has an intercom... But of course since without it people in the kitchen won't know what people in the living room are doing.
And here's a scary thought, I actually found half a dozen countries whose GDP is lower than that, and another dozen that's only twice as much. And I am talking about entire nations here. You can probably feed half of African countries with the monthly payments on that house. Don't even have to involve the United Nations or World Hunger Relief Fund.
That could be one way to put an end to starvation of millions and millions of people... For a mere price of one house...
Just some food for thought... no pun intended.

No comments: