Monday, June 26, 2006

Finally someone will notice us too!

It's official now! Ukrainian soccer team is in the quarterfinals. As I am writing this, I still cannot believe it is actually true. I sneaked out of work today just to watch them play against Switzerland... and damn was I excited. Most guys from work were watching the same game with me, but I have a suspicion they were rooting for the swiss. But hey, who cares, the only thing that matters is that we won. Even if we were tied the entire game and additional time too... But we won 3:0 in the penalty shootout. Oh, and by the way, I am totally in love with Shovkovski. He is pretty great for that pay that he gets playing for Dinamo. Too bad he is getting old now and I doubt would play in the next World Cup... I was so thrilled when they got to the second round, so imagine my state when I realized they made it to the quarterfinals.
Now, don't get me wrong, even though I love my team, I am don't have any illusions about them beating Italians, but the fact alone makes me exstatic. And I can always hope they will, I have four more days to do so. Seriously though, I lost all my optimism after they were crashed by Spain in their first-ever game in the World Cup. However, their next three games were awesome and I enjoyed every moment of it - can't say I wasn't nervious at some point, but that's what makes for a great game.
So now even guys at work are aware of who we are and, I am almost afraid to admit it, know the names of some players. I am just as hyped up for them to play against Italy as one of my coworkers was happy for Ghana to make it to the second round. I know exactly what it meant for him. Although Ghana lost after all... to Brazil.

No comments: